Work Life Philosophy
Ali Wong: Baby Cobra
Taking Care of Yourself
When it comes to your life, it’s not our place to dictate what things you should care about. We believe in providing the resources that will alleviate distractions and allow you to do your best work.
1. Parental Leave: We recognize that one of the most special events in an individual's life is the birth or adoption of a child. Our parental leave policy is: "take care of your baby and yourself." New parents generally take 4 - 8 months.
2. Time Away: Our vacation policy is “take vacation” and we actually do. Frankly, we intermix work and personal time quite a bit. Time away works differently at Netflix. We don’t have a prescribed 9-to-5 workday, so we don’t have prescribed time off policies for salaried employees, either. We don’t set a holiday and vacation schedule, so you can observe what’s important to you—including when your mind and body need a break. We believe in working smarter, not harder.
3. Family Forming: Netflix offers a global family forming benefit to support employees during your fertility, surrogacy, or adoption journey. This benefit is available to employees and their spouse/domestic partner, regardless of marital status, gender, or sexual orientation. We recognize these pathways are challenging from both a financial and emotional perspective. Netflix also offers an allowance through Carrot to support you in covering the costs of your family forming journey.
Living our culture of freedom and responsibility, we don’t want to make the decisions for you around your finances. See below for our philosophies on stock options, compensation, and charitable giving.
1. Stock Option Program: Each employee chooses each year how much of their compensation they want in salary versus stock options. You can choose all cash, all options, or whatever combination suits you. You choose how much risk and upside (down) you want. These 10-year stock options are fully-vested and you keep them even if you leave Netflix.
2. Personal Top of Market: To help us attract and retain stunning colleagues, we pay employees at the top of their personal market. We do not think of these as “raises” and there is no raise pool to divide up. The market for talent is what it is and is not defined by set bands and grades. If your market adjusts, we do not have to wait for an annual compensation event to make changes. We hope through this compensation approach, we can dismantle pay disparities across gender and race.
3. Employee Giving Program: At Netflix, you have the ability to impact the world through the work you do, revolutizing internet entertainment and sharing great storytelling globally. We realize you may also want to make an impact in a more personal way by giving to charitable organizations you care about. We want to do our part to support you and the organizations important to you through match contributions up to $10,000.
Convenience to Do Your Best Work
Living our culture of freedom and responsibility, we treat you like an adult and trust you. Everyone has the ability to make an impact, a seat at the table, and is expected to contribute, create, and share. See below on our philosophies around allowing you to do your best work possible and not being held down by unnecessary process.
1. Expenses and Work-Related Travel: Our policy for travel, entertainment, gifts, and other expenses is 5 words long: “act in Netflix’s best interest.” We do not have a set travel policy at Netflix. Using our guiding principles of context, not control - you can use judgement to make decisions that are effective to the business and set you up for success. If in doubt, seek to understand.
2. Work, Not Drive: When it comes to your work schedule, commuting doesn’t always sync up and rush hour can be stressful. Work, not drive partners with a rideshare service that provides you the flexibility and focus on work while you commute.
3. Relocation Benefits: We are not bound by policies and restrictions of where great talent is located. When moving from one country, city, neighborhood to another, we have a team dedicated to support you (and your family). We know relocation can be a stressful time, but we are here to make things as smooth as possible as you transition to your new role and your new life. In addition to providing all major relocation services, all candidates are provided financial support when moving from one major city or country to another.