Senior Software Engineer - Metadata Personalization Engineering
- Los Gatos, California
- Product Engineering
Netflix’s recommendation systems are really good at finding the right titles for our members. But as our catalog grows and our member base becomes more diverse, we need more than title recommendations. Members want to know why a title was recommended to them - why should they watch it? What can we say about an unfamiliar title that will pique their interest?
We are providing this context to members in various ways. Finding the best artwork and video trailers to represent a title for a member using personalization is one way. We are also working on optimizing text metadata - does this member care about actor/director information or awards? Do they want to know which other titles are like this one? Do they want to know if they can binge it in one weekend?
As a member of this team, you will:
- Work with machine learning experts to design offline compute systems that leverage continuous explore/exploit models to generate personalized asset and metadata recommendations - images, video trailers, synopses, ratings, similars info, etc
- Design, implement and support very high throughput, low latency systems that deliver personalized assets in real time. The latency of these systems directly impacts the responsiveness and availability of the Netflix app and the member experience
- Lead system design to ensure our systems scale with the evolving product complexity, innovative A/B tests and our global member base
- Have the opportunity to work directly on member facing features and A/B tests(“See that artwork? We’re testing auto generated images!”)
- Work on innovative ways for our members to view and navigate different types of content from Umbrella Academy to weekly talk shows to non-serialized titles like Black Mirror
- Work with cross functional teams that include UI and other backend engineering teams, product managers, product creative teams, data engineers and analysts
What we are looking from in you:
- 8+ years experience and expertise in Java or another object oriented language
- Experience with design and ownership of large scale distributed systems
- Passion for and ability to define and drive engineering initiatives to improve scalability, reliability and quality
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work in all phases of the development lifecycle (design, implementation, deployment and support)
- Ability to thrive in a highly cross-functional environment
Nice to have:
- Experience operating services in AWS or other cloud providers
- Experience with explore/exploit or personalization systems
- A culture that is unique and built on the idea of Freedom and Responsibility. Our culture is all about context over control, minimal process and loosely coupled but highly aligned teams. Read more about our values here.
- We foster an environment where your work and passion for the product can move the business in a meaningful way.
- As a company, we continue to thrill more than 139 million subscribers across the globe, on 1900 device types whose streaming accounts for more than a third of the internet’s downstream traffic during peak hours in North America!