Returnship - Software Engineer - Media Processing
- Los Gatos, California
The Path Forward Return to Work program at Netflix is a 16-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to women and men who have at least 5 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
We encode video streams that account more than one third of peak download traffic in North America, and are viewed by millions of members worldwide. We ingest thousands of high profile TV shows and movies and transcode to the best video quality possible. We incorporate automated quality control throughout our pipeline so that our streams play seamlessly on all Netflix-ready devices. We run our ingest and encoding software on the cloud and need to design for efficiency, reliability, and scalability.
You are a self-driven Software Engineer who is curious about media encoding in the cloud. You have solid software development skills and constantly strive to improve yourself and the team. You are eager to apply your knowledge in solving video and image processing challenges, impacting what millions of people watch everyday.
- 3+ years experience in software development, with excellent debugging and problem solving skills.
- BS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience with C++ or Java and object-oriented programming.
Bonus points if you have experience in one of the following areas:
- Video and image compression standards, such as H.264/AVC, HEVC, VP9 or JPEG
- Image and signal processing algorithms
- Video systems specifications, such as MPEG Transport Streams or DASH
- Large-scale distributed systems and cloud computing
- Open-source multimedia projects, such as FFmpeg, x264, avisynth, WebM
As a Software Engineer in the Video Algorithms team, you will:
- Develop video and image encoding software that plug into the Netflix media pipeline.
- Develop effective tooling, dashboards, alerts, and response to identify and address reliability risks.
- Implement algorithms that can automate video quality control of incoming source content and encoded Netflix streams.
To learn more about our team, check out the following articles: