Synopsis Writer: Korean Content Specialist
- Los Gatos, California
- Creative Production
We are seeking a Korean bilingual writer to join the team that writes and edits synopses about films and TV shows on Netflix. The ideal candidate is a skilled English writer who is an expert on the media and culture of Korea. You'll be expected to research titles and gather information from regional, Korean-language sources, but write clear, engaging, accurate copy in English. You’ll often support your teammates by applying those same research and writing skills to English-language titles. If you have a demonstrable passion for entertainment, a deep knowledge of film and TV and the ability to distill complicated ideas into concise, consumer-friendly language, this may be the role for you.
In a Typical Day ...
You'll collaborate with a team of writers and editors to write about a dozen different movies or television shows, with a particular focus on titles from Korea. With an omnivorous taste for film and TV, you’ll use a variety of research tools to learn about each title and craft a message that speaks to the heart of it. You’ll synthesize information from content creators and critics with your own keen evaluative skills to write copy that’s engaging, accurate and a pleasure to read. Occasionally, you’ll apply your writing expertise and passion for Korean film and television to cross-functional innovation projects, collaborating with other writers, analysis, design and product teams. Our team is largely remote, so you’ll use Slack, Google Hangouts, email and other digital tools to communicate about assignments, projects and publishing deadlines.
What Will Help You Succeed
- Deep content knowledge of and passion for Korean media, including current trends in entertainment. Simply put, you’re a superfan who’s excited to write about film and TV from the region -- and help get Netflix members around the globe get excited about it too.
- Experience and comfort collaborating with multifaceted digital productions teams. You’ll be using digital publishing tools to track your assignments, write about titles and publish copy.
- A love of language. Even though you’re an expert with deep knowledge, you’ll always write with an empathetic understanding of your audience in mind. You must be comfortable with rigorous editing, tight deadlines and workshopping copy with a team of writers and editors.
- Flexibility and versatility as a writer. Whether the assignment at hand is a K-drama, a Hollywood action movie or an animated educational series for kids, you understand that different content should have copy tailored to its tone.
- A commitment to our team’s core values, like candid feedback, passion and curiosity.
- Native linguistic fluency in Korean, which will be critical to understand and evaluate Korean content without subtitles
- A nuanced perspective on Korean media, with empathy for audiences in Asia and beyond
- 5+ years relevant writing experience
- Exceptional ability in short-form writing and editing
- Independent and self-motivated
- Understanding of AP style.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- Recently published examples of film/television criticism or culture writing
- Experience working with global brands
- Experience with AB testing structure
Please note that candidates will be asked to complete a brief (and fun!) writing exercise as a part of the application process.
Share this listing:
Share this listing: