English Language Manager, Globalization
- Los Gatos, California
- Product Creative
The Globalization team is responsible for translation and cultural adaptation of most things Netflix creates, from beautiful user interfaces to cinematic original programming. We treat each country we enter differently, since it is not just about translation, it is about providing our audience with an experience that feels local, and we do it at scale.
Our team is looking for an experienced English Language Manager to manage the overall language strategy of all English language localized assets - inc. the English Title Name Localization and the Into English subtitles (& SDH) language workflows. They work closely with external resources and internal stakeholders and partners at Netflix to create the best English language localized assets for our growing slate of International Originals and non-English language licensed films and series.
- Provide cultural & linguistic consultancy, localization advocacy, and influence other teams at Netflix in the Title Name Localization and subtitles areas in order to deliver the best possible localized user experience to our English-speaking members.
- Drive the English Title Name language strategy for all Netflix International Originals and licensed content.
- Drive the language strategy of English language subtitle assets in Netflix non-English Original and licensed content.
- Define and set language standards and expectations for all Into English localization work at Netflix (inc. style guides, glossary of terms, etc.)
- Work closely with external resources (localization vendors, creative agencies and copywriters) on building a scalable creative workflow for the localization and transcreation of non-English title names into the English language, as well as English subtitles of Netflix Original and licensed content.
- Train vendors / external creative agencies on language standards, requirements and expectations for research and rationales, as well as provides suitable additional internal context for high priority titles.
- Ensure that vendors have suitable creative resources to work on title name localization and subtitling assets for high profile titles.
- Measure performance of vendors and external resources using Netflix-designed LQA methodology and tools, as well as other product and market data.
- Work closely with other Netflix Globalization Language Managers and other internal stakeholders (e.g. Globalization Program Managers, Content Acquisition teams) to collect relevant cultural and linguistic information about International Originals content and their original title names, and lead the most appropriate English version for those titles.
- Gain deep product knowledge and awareness of product data in the areas of Into English Title Name Localization and English subtitles & SDH for English-speaking markets and define language quality expectations through research and A/B testing.
- Collaborate with Netflix Editorial Creative team for brand voice alignment in English, and additional creative input, in order to come up with the best titles possible on high priority International Original titles.
- Proactively engage with relevant regional stakeholders (e.g. Marketing, PR, Social, and Content) for additional context and insights on high visibility titles, in partnership with other Language Managers and Globalization Program Managers.
- Proactively lead and participate in innovative solutions to test quality for best fit and impact on market (inc. AB tests, consumer insights, member feedback, etc.)
- Lead or partner with other team members on any other Into English language strategy for any additional area of the business - e.g. Product Localization into en_GB, Into English Marketing or Metadata Localization.
- 5+ years experience writing and editing in English in the entertainment space - experience in subtitling a must.
- Strong business acumen and proven stakeholder management skills.
- Experience writing in English for a global audience.
- Strong knowledge of the movie/entertainment industry in major English-speaking markets, such as the US, the UK, Canada or Australia.
- Ability to show initiative and work independently.
- Experience in creative localization (film and series title names, content synopses, entertainment-related articles, subtitling, dubbing) - knowledge of the product localization workflows and pitfalls a plus.
- Native fluency in English and at least a second language (Spanish, French, Korean or Japanese preferred)
- Eagerness to embrace a culture of candid feedback
- Excellent presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills.