Director/Senior Counsel, Content & Brand IP (India)
- Mumbai, India
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix’s service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries.
To bring joy to global audiences, we need truly global content. That doesn’t always come from Hollywood. So our content legal team is in search of a senior IP attorney in India to handle a wide range of IP issues that arise from the creation of Netflix original in India.
In this position, working from Mumbai, you will be the first Content IP lawyer in India with a unique opportunity to launch (and eventually build!) a nimble team that will take the lead in India on things like rights acquisition, copyright, chain-of-title (including rights publication), title clearance, production clearance of content, IP enforcement, IP claims defense, moral rights, defamation claims, and trademarks. This role will closely collaborate with the creative, business, public policy, and other teams that work together to create Netflix’s great content.
As a seasoned content IP attorney, the breadth of your experience enables you to handle any situation that may be encountered on a television or film production in India. You’ve seen it all and aren’t phased by the last minute surprises that inevitably arise when developing, shooting, or marketing a film, series or documentary. You expertly navigate those situations while allowing your studio colleagues to fulfill their creative and business goals. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, finance, post-production, marketing and creative, and know when and how to align the appropriate teams when IP issue arise. You’re comfortable evaluating risk with imperfect information and have the confidence to make quick decisions. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you are able to improve upon systems to gain efficiency. You are passionate about the entertainment industry and are excited to learn more about the business from a non-traditional perspective. Above all, you have an opinion and are willing to voice it.
The successful candidate will love working in an environment where freedom, responsibility, and curiosity are mandates. That candidate will also thrive in an workplace that values thoughtful efficiency more than process, and innovation more than convention.
Frequent travel will be required, including quarterly travel to California.
- Identify IP-related risks in our content and communicate them to the necessary stakeholders.
- Collaborate with business and legal affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution.
- Conduct chain-of-title analysis and provide concise and pragmatic advice.
- Conduct due diligence on complex rights acquisitions and grants.
- Build and implement a rights publication system in trade journals.
- Analyze trademark clearances, including multi-jurisdiction searches.
- Manage claims of IP infringement at the pre-litigation stage.
- Develop strong relationships with leading law firms that specialize in entertainment and IP and oversee their work.
- Create and implement production clearance strategies for Indian content.
- Rapidly respond to production clearance issues.
- Coordinate closely with internal and external litigation teams when litigation arises.
- Serve as internal, cross-functional expert on all areas of IP law in India.
- 10+ years of intellectual property law, including significant experience in the entertainment industry.
- An extensive network of contacts in the Indian media industry.
- Deep knowledge of filmed entertainment and the production process.
- Understanding of IP law and practice in India, including a strong background in how copyright, defamation, moral rights, fair use, rights of publicity/privacy, and principles of expressive freedom operate across the region.
- Experience managing heavy workflow independently.
- Experience building and managing teams.
- Outstanding communication skills and a bias toward creative thinking.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly collaborative and responds positively to change and new ideas.
- Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
- Sense of humor!