Senior Manager of Product Innovation - Advertising & Promotion Algorithms
- Los Gatos, California
- Product Management
With a 130+ million members in over 190 countries and a billion hours of streaming each month, Netflix is the world’s leading online entertainment company. Netflix continues to shape the future of entertainment with its expansion into the production of Netflix original content and by inventing new personalized ways for members to enjoy movie and TV content.
With our slate of original content rapidly expanding, we are looking for a Senior Manager of Product Innovation to advance the algorithms for promotion of Netflix originals both within and outside the service for growth and current member retention. In this position, you will have the opportunity to work on a unique set of problems:
Working with various big programmatic ad platforms (such as Google and Facebook) to efficiently and effectively allocate our very substantial programmatic marketing budget to maximize the causal impact of the spend on the business - to acquire new members and to get our current members more engaged with our service. We use our original movies and TV shows in advertising creative to attract new members to our service and believe that selecting the right content to showcase in each ad is critical.
Designing algorithms and systems that not only delight our members by making it ridiculously simple to find and watch their favorite Netflix shows but also by helping them discover relevant original titles through effective promotion on the service. For instance, you will be responsible for finding relevant audiences and driving demand for the large number of diverse stories we're creating, many with little to no title or talent recognition.
Who will be successful in this role?
You combine a strong technical background in computational advertising, econometrics, or personalization with excellent communication skills to define, explain and execute the originals marketing and personalization strategies. You will lead cross-functional teams of software and research engineers, mathematicians, data scientists, and statisticians while partnering effectively with stakeholders across the company, as well as external partners, to bring your vision to life.
You know advanced mathematical modeling and analysis, particularly some combination of statistics, optimization, machine learning, and computational advertising, so deeply that you are well aware they are just tools to solve problems rather than being an end in themselves. You naturally gravitate towards experimentation as a way to validate your hypotheses while having a healthy skepticism when interpreting experimental results.
This product Innovation leader may come from a wide range of backgrounds: perhaps someone who has led algorithmic innovation for a successful software company, or a pragmatic academic with experience modeling and experimenting with complex systems and in computer science. In order to be successful in this position, you need to be able to work with world-class engineers, have the statistical acumen to collaborate with top-notch data scientists and the business sense to drive product goals and strategies. Demonstrated ability to build successful consumer facing applications and algorithms, and a strong feel for movie/TV content are big pluses.
- Proven history of intuition for generating great algorithmic ideas with demonstrated impact on business metrics through AB testing
- Experience and demonstrated leadership working effectively with data scientists, machine learning engineers, statisticians etc.
- Ability to articulate technical content to diverse non-technical audiences. Ability to partner with people from different parts of the company to ensure that your solutions drive real business impact.
- Strategic thinking and ability to incorporate larger business context into algorithm development.
- 6+ years of business experience in the area of computation advertising, econometrics, personalization or recommender systems.
- Post graduate education (MS or PhD) in a applied quantitative field such as : Econometrics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Control Theory.
A couple of things worth knowing:
- Though this is a senior role, you won’t have any direct reports. Instead you will have the freedom to focus on significant business impact while orchestrating the work of impressive teams.
- Our culture is a bit unique, and we tend to live by our values, so it’s worth learning more about Netflix at www.netflix.com/Jobs.