Editorial Manager, Korea
- Seoul, South Korea
It’s not often there’s an opportunity to join a company that is changing consumer habits all over the world, and challenging an entire industry at the same time. In addition to the marketing we do around our Netflix original titles we are also investing in editorial strategies that build love, meaning and deepen the emotional relationship of our brand with our fans.
Korea is a key market for Netflix and this is an exciting time to be part of driving our growth with a handful of stunning colleagues who are responsible for driving our success in Korea. We have hundreds of original TV shows, films and documentaries from Busted! To to Stranger Things and more that are produced for all kinds of tastes and all kinds of moods. We are looking for a creative editorial leader to join our team and help us drive editorial strategies to build brand love for Netflix and talk about more titles, to more people in Korea than ever before.
Acutely aware of the owned and earned media environment in Korea ranging from traditional news to Kakao and Instagram, the ideal candidate will be a talented storyteller and have great experience in leading creative and strategic initiatives to create meaning for the Netflix and create cultural phenomena, conversation and WOM around our brand and titles in the owned and earned landscape.
This approach requires best-in-class editorial strategies and an innovative approach to content ideation and production. This position will be a creative editorial leader who up-levels our approach to editorial in the social (think Twitter, Instagram and YouTube) and digital space (think i.e.podcasts, or messenger apps).
Our aim is to entertain and engage by innovating in the digital editorial space with smart strategy and great content and production to build a robust and trustworthy presence in local entertainment and pop culture conversations. You will be responsible for helping to lead the Editorial strategy for Korea, balancing between driving long lead editorial planning and audience development with owning the short lead fast-paced output at a day-to-day level.
Background and skills
The ideal candidate will have a natural passion for entertainment, a deep understanding of internet culture and a knack for spotting and shepherding great storytelling in the digital space. To that extent, we are seeking candidates with more than ten years of digital editorial experience working both client and agency side.
In addition, we also look at:
- Proficient English communication skills. While the consumer-facing output of the work will be in Korean, most internal communication is handled in English. Netflix is a memo and debate-intensive culture and team members are expected to participate and contribute to strategic discussions often and significantly.
- Solid grasp of analytics and social listening tools. We don’t let data determine our actions but we do rely on data to inform our judgement and intuition. You don’t need to be a spreadsheet pivot table genius to work here but you do need to have a good grasp of analytics in order to ask the right questions to our analytical partners.
- Talent management skills. Aside from understanding how to behave professionally around talent, we value the capacity to earn trust with them and their representatives -- a key part of obtaining buy-in for creative ideas and executions.
Other key responsibilities:
- Develop a clear editorial vision, tone of voice and the right content strategies to build our brand into a trusted and engaging source of entertainment and information in the social space and beyond.
- Editor-in-chief of local brand channels, owning and maintaining publishing schedules.
- Work cross-functionally with Marketing, Publicity and Partner Marketing teams to compliment high-profile title campaigns, serve as the brand’s first line of reputational defense and deepen consumer understanding of key Netflix benefits.
- Stay on top of earned and owned trends, news and other timely events to seize on reactive opportunities.
- Use social analytics and other internal data to inform strategy and detect new opportunities.
- Build and manage budgets.
- Actively engage in strategic conversations with social insights and community perspectives.
- Media relations for brand campaigns and editorial work
- Managing agency relationships including editorial day-to-day, media relations, features, brand narratives
The Netflix culture attracts daredevils who exhibit good judgment, innovation, selflessness, courage, impact, candid communication, passion, and intellectual curiosity. Read the culture memo to learn what it’s actually like working for Netflix.