Senior Software Engineer - Notebooks
- Los Gatos, California
- Infrastructure and Tooling
Data powers Netflix. It permeates our thoughts, informs our decisions, and challenges our assumptions. It fuels experimentation and innovation at an unprecedented scale. It helps us discover fantastic content and deliver personalized experiences for our 130 million members around the world.
We're a team of engineers with diverse skills who envision, develop, and manage Notebooks infrastructure. For us, success means that Data Scientists and Engineers of all disciplines can productively, collaboratively and confidently use Netflix data. In particular, they have delightful and distraction-free solutions to everyday problems like:
• How can I easily access the data I need to do my job?
• How can I interactively explore different solutions to my problems?
• How do I access computing resources?
• How can I provide insights to my stakeholders?
• How can I explain my work to my colleagues and solicit their feedback?
• Why did my model make a certain prediction?
• How can I take work I did in my notebook into production (and back again)?
• Why did my production job produce unexpected results?
• How can my colleagues reproduce the results that I got?
Given Netflix’s rare combination of exceptional science and engineering teams, rich data sources, and a company-wide appreciation for the value of data, a huge opportunity awaits.
Jupyter Notebooks have a long track record of changing the way Data Science is done and are transforming the way people use data in enterprise. While notebooks are delighting enterprise users in a variety of ways, we think they can do even better.
Some of the most interesting challenges at hand include:
• How do we make Scala developers using Notebooks as productive as Python developers?
• How do we bring the beloved prototyping and rapid iteration paradigm of Notebooks into the world of enterprise-grade, data-driven workflows and applications?
• How do we shape the vision and evolution of Notebooks at Netflix and the open source Jupyter community at large, given the exciting profusion of users and variety of use cases?
Because few people have worked on notebooks on the enterprise side, we don't expect that you already know the ins-and-outs of the Jupyter ecosystem. We do expect that as an experienced software engineer, you'll be excited to roll up your sleeves and learn a lot as we navigate these challenges together.
We're looking for strengths on the following skill dimensions, but don't expect any single person to possess all of these. While our top priority is to bring the Scala notebooks experience on-par with Python, many skills will lend themselves to success in the notebooks team. The main ones are:
• Scala and/or JVM expertise
• Experience designing human-friendly APIs, protocols, specs or standards that considers both current needs and future evolution
• Open source community stewardship and active contributions to a prominent project
• Infrastructure experience, including some subset of:
• container management, storage, stateful systems, distributed systems, dependency management, microservices, Linux expertise
To learn more about Netflix culture, see jobs.netflix.com/culture. We are excited to discuss with you how it applies to our team, and how Netflix values permeate our approach to work.
Share this listing:
Share this listing: