Senior Field Engineer
- Tokyo, Japan
- Partner Devices
The Netflix Device Engineering Team directly impacts the development and quality of consumer electronic products that millions of people use every day to enjoy Netflix.
To bring Netflix conveniently into the living rooms of our members across the globe, we are working with CE partners around the world to integrate Netflix into their Smart TVs, Set-Top Boxes, Streaming Sticks, Blu-Ray Players, Projectors, and more. We are aiming to reach our current and future members around the world on devices they use most frequently to watch linear TV: cable, and satellite set-top boxes.
The Netflix Device Engineering Team is ensuring the quality of the consumer products carrying the Netflix logo, not only by developing and executing tests on devices, but also by coaching and assisting partners throughout the entire development lifecycle.
While this team is working directly with all the major OEM brands in consumer electronics you will also get the chance to partner directly with chip manufacturers to integrate Netflix streaming application into their reference implementations for CE/MVPD devices. These reference implementations will subsequently be used by many of the major global brands.
Netflix is looking for a Senior Quality Assurance Engineer that will partner closely with our Japanese partners and our engineerings teams based in Los Gatos, Ca. A grey box tester, who has a strong quality assurance and development background with deep knowledge in testing audio/video consumer electronics devices, as well as demonstrated skill in partner communication. In this partner facing role, you will provide technical evaluation and feedback of certification test results to determine device eligibility to ship "Netflix-ready". If you have the skill and a passion for audio/video consumer electronics devices such as Smart TVs, IPTV, cable and satellite set top boxes, then this job is for you!
- Determine device certification program eligibility.
- Communicate directly with partners as you coach them through the certification program.
- Execute certification tests. Review partner results. Evaluate, troubleshoot, triage, and debug failures.
- File detailed bug reports.
- Build strong relationship with engineering teams on the partner side to effectively coach and support them in the certification process.
- Take on special projects designed to drive the Netflix Certifications process forward.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams. Create solutions and remove roadblocks that enable us to scale the certification process across a wide range of device platforms.
What you need to be:
- Passionate about product quality.
- Brilliant in your delivery of technical solutions.
- Pragmatic about what is best both technically and for the business.
- Energetic and versatile in a dynamic work environment.
- Knowledgeable in consumer streaming media applications.
- Clear, professional and diplomatic in communication.
- Efficient when working independently.
- Distinguishable when working on a team.
What you need to have:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
- Proficient in spoken and written Japanese and English
- 5+ years of experience in quality assurance or software development on embedded systems
- Extensive experience with device testing
- Experience in direct interaction with partners or clients.
- Industry experience working on TVs, IPTV, Cable and Satellite Set-Top Boxes.
- Strong background in audio/video streaming technology.
- Knowledge of networking standards and protocols.
- Working knowledge in Linux environment
- Ability and strong desire to operate in a highly cross-functional environment where you can leverage multiple teams to help our partners be successful.
Nice to have:
- Experience with test automation development
- Proficient in Korean