Manager, VFX Workflows - Creative Technologies
- Los Angeles, California
- Post Production
Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, a lot of it original content: features, shorts, series, documentaries, comedy specials and unscripted content.
Optimizing content quality and longevity without compromising efficiency across all types of projects presents significant challenges, but that’s what the Studio Technologies team does by setting technical requirements and best practices, driving new industry standards, consulting on the studio’s technical infrastructure, providing direct support to Netflix Original Productions and staying up-to-date with the most advanced developments in professional and consumer technology. Our engineers are subject matter experts who offer varied yet overlapping backgrounds in motion picture production, post-production and distribution - image science, editorial, color correction, image capture, encoding, compression, storage, video, audio... Every day, we collaborate with the crews as well as our internal production, post-production, distribution, marketing, facilities and development teams.
As Netflix creates more and more programming around the world leveraging new video and audio production technology, we are scaling to support the needs of diverse creative teams while continuing to foster industry-wide change.
You are an expert in the technical practices and tools of visual effects imaging, from on-set plate and metadata capture, to color pipelines, to rendering, to delivery and archive. You understand current workflows, techniques and software, and how they’ve developed as technical and creative demands have evolved. You have worked with directors, cinematographers, editors, VFX supervisors, artists, engineers, developers. You keep abreast of developing standards, industry trends and solutions that are changing how we create imagery that is both fantastic and believable. You have big ideas and opinions about how to ensure high quality, creative flexibility, efficiency, and scalability of VFX production.
As part of the Creative Technologies & Infrastructure group, you will:
- Provide technical guidance steeped in expertise to develop the best practices and standards that will guide VFX production for Netflix Originals.
- Represent the Netflix Creative Technologies group at industry functions, conferences, committee meetings, etc.
- Educate various internal and external teams on Netflix Originals technical specifications and production best practices for VFX.
- Provide direct support to productions exploring new techniques and technologies.
- Evaluate various vendors and markets for technical readiness to deliver to our specifications.
- Work with our developers to create tools that facilitate VFX production, review and archive.
- Devise and execute strategies to achieve our production goals, improve efficiency and foster the evolution of VFX industry practices.
- Identify challenges and opportunities presented by emerging technology, and engage with manufacturers to align them to our strategies and requirements.
- 8+ years of experience in the VFX technology, for both features and series.
- Knowledge of (and even maybe participation in) industry standards and the bodies that ratify them.
- Deep knowledge of the VFX toolset.
- Knowledge of and relationships with technology solutions, equipment and service vendors in the VFX space.
- Knowledge of VFX archival practices.
- The communication skills to clearly articulate and document technical concepts and explain how they impact the creative process.
- A passion for the moving image, synthetically generated or not.
- Compulsive curiosity.
- Extensive experience with VFX onset and VFX production/post/delivery workflows.
- Strong knowledge of vendor side workflows including color pipelines, VFX production process, CG pipeline (modeling, rigging, texturing, look development, environments, creature FX, lighting and FX), compositing, delivery, archive and the ability to specify efficient workflows and identify additional tools required.
- Working knowledge with Shotgun, RV, Nuke, Maya, and other VFX-related software applications.