Prototyper - TV
- Los Gatos, California
- product design
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with 130+ million members in over 190 countries. We connect people with movies and shows globally by delivering outstanding content, technical innovation and user experience. We're continuing to invest in globally-recognized original content like Stranger Things, Sacred Games and La Casa de Papel.
Our mission is to understand our members’ needs and desires to help them discover and connect with meaningful entertainment for television around the globe.
The role of the Prototyper at Netflix is a special combination of engineer and designer. As a prototyper, you will be making design concepts tangible, crafting rich canvases and testing new experiences that can bring our shows and movies to life. You will build prototypes for use in field research to test with users and act as the bridge to engineering to ensure design intent is met and balanced with technical feasibility.
Using your full range of prototyping and product thinking skills, you will build interactive prototypes that explore new product ideas with researchers, designers and engineers.
As a Prototyper, you will:
- Collaborate with research, product design and engineering partners to create interactive prototypes, ranging from reference to fully functional prototypes
- Have the freedom to choose the tools and approaches (specific stack or code base) you use to solve problems and build prototypes
- Iterate quickly to explore and validate product features and concepts
- Set up prototypes for live usability research sessions, and iterate based on observations
- Be a bridge to engineering during the productization phase to provide a prototype as a “living spec,” that demonstrates the design intent and functionality or to advise on how to technically achieve a desired effect.
- Explore TV prototypes for multi-device interactions (second-screen experiences)
- Seek out feedback on your projects, and provide candid feedback to your peers
- Contribute new ideas and creative solutions
- Stay on top of new UI technologies and best practices with partner teams and within the industry
- Expert front-end development skills (e.g. web, mobile or other UI technologies. TV a plus)
- Experience with modern frameworks (e.g. React)
- Experience building or consuming APIs and familiarity with web and cloud infrastructure
- Expert-level experience with HTML, CSS, JS
- Dedicated to learning new prototyping technologies as they emerge
- A demonstrated understanding of interaction and user experience design principles
- Proficient with design tools like Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite
- Degree in computer science, graphic arts, human factors or relevant experience
- Experience across the entire product lifecycle (lived through multiple launches)
- Experience with usability research is a plus
- A strong bias towards action
- A love of movies and TV shows!
About the Netflix Product Design team:
We’re a close-knit group of creative problem solvers who value collaboration and feedback. We believe in an open-minded environment, and in developing strong relationships with our partners in product management, engineering, and consumer research. This is a place where talented experimenters and explorers come together to share ideas and solutions.
We believe creating elegant user experiences require two things: A team of talented, expert-level designers whose individual strengths complement each other, and a close-knit, open-minded environment where collaboration and feedback are valued.
Speaking of collaboration, it’s critical that we build strong relationships with our partners in product management, engineering, and marketing. We also believe that the very best designs prove themselves in the marketplace. That's why we use consumer science, metrics and testing to inform our design instinct and sensibility.
Our organization and processes are fluid, allowing us to move quickly when new opportunities arise. Netflix is a fast-changing environment. We hire senior people who can adapt quickly, make decisions, juggle multiple projects, and produce great work. That said, we think creativity comes from happy, confident and energetic people — we’re serious about a healthy work-life balance and a comfortable, casual environment.
When we find the right people, we do our best to keep them happy, inspired, and with us for as long as possible. So you’ll find that our compensation, benefits, and culture are hard to beat.