Rights Analyst, Content & Brand IP
- Los Angeles, California
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Netflix is seeking a seasoned rights analyst to help our business, legal and creative teams navigate the complex intellectual property rights deals that underlie Netflix’s Originals programming.
As a member of the Content & Brand IP Team, you will support vital components of our intellectual property practice, and be an integral resource for Netflix’s business and production teams. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you excel at quickly piecing together the jigsaw puzzle of a complex rights situation. You are excited about the challenge of making a wide-variety of programs around the world. You think outside the box, challenge long-standing assumptions, and look for opportunities to innovate. You are adept at pragmatically analyzing risk, and you confidently communicate across all levels of the business. The successful candidate will be one who loves working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets and passion and curiosity are mandates. The role is ideal for someone who is comfortable in a constantly changing environment. The role is based in Los Angeles.
- Conduct chain of title review and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
- Conduct due diligence on complex rights acquisitions.
- Implement efficient workflows for chain of title review.
- Keep apprised of developments in the entertainment industry and adjust Netflix’s rights and copyright-related practices accordingly.
- Train internal attorneys and staff about chain of title and copyright transfer issues.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with outside counsel and vendors.
- 7+ years of experience evaluating chain of title in connection with rights acquisitions in the media industry.
- Command of domestic and international copyright law as required to evaluate chain of title including, termination, reversion, and guild-related restrictions on rights transfers.
- Understanding of how filmed entertainment is developed and produced.
- Knowledge of the types of restrictions and obligations that are frequently tied to the exploitation of acquired rights.
- Experience with copyright registration and recordation is a plus.
- Unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail.
- Tech-savvy, including proficiency with cloud-based document and database systems.
- Clear, concise communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and creative thinking.
- Capacity to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment.
- Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.