Senior Software Engineer - Video Systems
- Los Gatos, California
- Content Engineering
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with over 148 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
We encode video streams that account more than one third of peak download traffic in We ingest thousands of high profile TV shows and movies and transcode to the best video quality possible. We run our encoding software on the cloud and need to design for efficiency, reliability, and scalability. We transform our sources into a suite of output formats to provide a great streaming experience to our members on a wide gamut of platforms including iOS, Android, game consoles and browsers, along with a variety of TVs and set-top boxes.
You are a self-driven Senior Software Engineer who thrives in a fast-paced environment. You have excellent software development skills and a strong background in video coding and system layer formats. You have solid working experience with formats such as MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 Systems, ISO base media file format, H.264/H.265 NAL units, and have developed tools such as stream readers/parsers and muxers/demuxers. You constantly strive to improve yourself and the team. You are eager to apply your expertise in solving cutting-edge video systems and processing challenges, impacting what millions of people see everyday.
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Video Systems team, you will:
- Design and develop highly scalable services for video systems and packaging.
- Develop and maintain video and image encoding software that plug into the Netflix media pipeline, designing for quality, robustness and scale.
- Participate in work related to next-generation video systems and encoding technologies.
- 5+ years experience in multimedia software development, with excellent debugging and problem solving skills.
- BS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent. MS or PhD a plus.
- Expert in C++ or Java and object-oriented programming.
- Working experience with video systems and/or streaming specifications, such as ISO/IEC 13818-1 (MPEG Transport and Program Streams), ISO/IEC 14496-12 (ISO base media file format), Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (MPEG-DASH), or Common Media Application Format (CMAF).
- Solid understanding of video compression and processing, including coding standards such as H.264/AVC, HEVC, VP9 and AV1.
- Experience with setting up (micro)services for video coding, processing or packaging.
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems and cloud computing
- Experience with software performance optimization
- Involvement in open-source projects for video packaging and streaming, such as GPAC (MP4Box) or GStreamer.
- Involvement in open-source multimedia projects such as FFmpeg, x264, avisynth, or WebM.
- Background in image and signal processing, both algorithm design and implementation (for example, image scaling, deinterlacing, frame rate conversion, artifact detection).
- Experience with image and video quality assessment.
To learn more about our team, check out the following articles:
Share this listing:
Share this listing: