Senior Research Scientist - Video Encoding
- Los Gatos, California
- Infrastructure and Tooling
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with over 148 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
We encode video streams that account more than one third of peak download traffic in North America. We ingest thousands of high profile TV shows and movies and transcode to the best video quality possible. We incorporate automated quality control throughout our pipeline so that our streams play seamlessly on all Netflix-ready devices. We run our ingest and encoding software on the cloud and need to design for efficiency, reliability, and scalability.
How We Meet the Challenge:
Cutting-edge video processing and encoding algorithms, implemented at-scale, combined with strategic video research that helps us cope with demands of our business.
You are a Senior Research Scientist who has a successful track-record in video coding and video processing research. You have a clear vision of the big picture and motivated to work on difficult problems in the space, but at the same time ready to roll-up your sleeves to code, prototype and experiment. You constantly strive to improve yourself and the team and thrive in a fast-paced environment. You are excited to apply your expertise in impacting what millions of people watch everyday.
- Excellent understanding of video compression. Extensive experience with compression standards such as H.264/AVC, HEVC and VP9.
- Strong background in image and signal processing, both algorithm design and implementation.
- MS in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of research experience, with relevant research publications or contributions to standards.
- Proficient in software development to enable to enable quick prototyping and experimentation.
- Implemented a video codec from scratch
- Background in video quality metrics, video understanding, computer vision or machine learning
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems and cloud-computing
- Involvement in open-source multimedia projects (such as ffmpeg, x264, webm, VLC)
As a Senior Research Scientist you will:
- Design and prototype algorithms for improving the quality and performance in our cloud-based video ingest and encoding pipeline
- Study current codec implementations and find areas for improvement in quality and speed
- Conduct research on next-generation image and video coding and propose technology for industry standards
- Participate in research conferences and standardization meetings
To learn more about our team, check out the following articles:
Share this listing:
Share this listing: