Senior Software Engineer in Test - Open Connect Appliances
- Los Gatos, California
- Content Delivery
Open Connect is a critical group within Netflix that builds and manages a content delivery network (CDN) handling more than one third of North American internet traffic at peak times! We are available in 190+ countries and partner with ISPs all over the world to provide our subscriber base with the ultimate streaming quality.
A small team of talented software engineers develop and maintain the FreeBSD-based operating system that runs Netflix’s content caches. In order for the team to be able to scale its development projects, we need to ensure that we quickly can quantify the characteristics of proposed changes: Did they enable new things? Break existing things? Make things faster or slower?
We are looking for an engineer to join this team to help us get better answers to these questions, and to get those answers faster. This engineer will work with some very talented software engineers and be a key part of the team that builds and maintains the operating system. In this role, you will be a critical part of Netflix’s ability to deliver incredible content.
In this role, you will:
- Have overall responsibility for automated testing of the operating system.
- Develop and implement an automated testing framework to help us verify the operating system’s functionality, operational resiliency, and/or scaling/performance characteristics. This will include developing new tools or modifying existing tools to integrate automated testing with the existing development processes.
- Collaborate with others to develop additional tests and maintain or extend existing tests.
- Collaborate with other teams to develop tools for visualizing and evaluating test results, and alerting developers to failures or regressions.
- Work with others to debug test failures/regressions and fix bugs that are found.
- Adopt existing functional test suites and integrate them into the automation framework.
- Collaborate with the open source community to enhance the automation framework and integrate new tests and testing methodologies as they are developed.
- Someone who likes to work hands on and be self-directed in a fast-paced environment that gives you freedom and responsibility
- Able to see beyond immediate specs, summarize requirements, and architect forward-looking solutions
- Capable of working in a cross-functional collaborative environment alongside your teammates
- Someone with a passion for quality
- Someone who enjoys taking things apart to understand how the system works together
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in all areas of the software development lifecycle—from requirements gathering to operations and maintenance
- Ability to read and write code using the C programming language
- Ability to use automated regression testing suites
- Understanding of testing large-scale software systems
- Experience with FreeBSD
- Experience with Jenkins
- Experience with open-source software development