Associate, Technology Planning & Analysis
- Los Gatos, California
- Financial Planning and Analysis
Netflix is revolutionizing the media and entertainment industry. Underpinning this revolution are ground breaking efforts in technology infrastructure - Cloud Infrastructure, Open Connect Content Delivery, and Product Creative - that catalyze Netflix’s success. This role will be part of the Technology Planning & Analysis - Cloud Infrastructure team, focusing on efficiency-based analysis that ensures financial scalability of our Cloud Infrastructure.
A role is only as exciting and challenging as the problems being tackled. What’s our Cloud Infrastructure problem? Ensuring efficient resource utilization for Netflix’s scale (e.g. 130+ million global customers) and architecture (e.g. microservices that can be deployed at anytime, any size). And all of this work is done without any budgeting or capacity procurement processes. Specific research questions include:
• What is the best time for all services to deploy to maximize financial efficiency or service availability?
• What are the most important data stores at Netflix, and how long should we back them up for?
• Amazon Web Services (AWS) release a new product X. How should we evaluate the pricing?
In addition to intellectual curiosity and aptitude, we look for candidates who are excited by technology, either from a professional or personal background. Since we are deeply intertwined with the engineering organization and our analysis revolves around product, platform, and data engineering, having the ability to connect Netflix’s business themes to engineering projects to the related infrastructure usage & cost is critical for success. Also with Netflix being a self service data organization, previous experience with query languages or light data manipulation experience is preferred.
• Extensive analysis of our cloud footprint, focusing on optimization and efficiency opportunities.
• Own the short and long term financial forecasts for the Cloud Infrastructure.
• Provide financial and strategic ad-hoc analysis to engineering teams, senior leaders, and FP&A. Report and iterate on key operational and financial metrics.
• Drive cross-functional efficiency projects from vision to execution.
Candidates are required to be highly analytical and be strong, effective communicators. Ideal candidates have a proven track record of operational & financial analysis, including the use of supporting tools. Previous experience with query languages such as SQL, or the desire to learn, is preferred given our self service data warehouse. She/he must thrive in a fast-paced environment, possess a high level of intellectual curiosity, and focus on generating results while exhibiting the highest personal and professional integrity and ethics standards.
Attributes sought after:
• Minimum three years in an analytical role.
• Ability to independently explore and understand high volume datasets - familiarity with SQL or other query languages.
• Strong understanding of financial forecasting.
• Expert working knowledge of Excel and the ability to quickly learn internal tools; working knowledge of visualization tools (i.e. Tableau).
• Ability to present and context switch between peer groups and senior level management.
• Experience working as a business partner with technical engineering teams.
• Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, mathematics, engineering/computer science, or other relevant field that demonstrates quantitative competence.