Director of Data Privacy and Security, Legal
- Los Angeles, California
Netflix is transforming entertainment, changing the perception of what television is and how it can be enjoyed. Fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly watch unlimited movies and TV shows, Netflix is the world's leading Internet television network with over 137 million members in 190 countries, currently enjoying more than two billion hours of TV shows and movies per month, including original series, documentaries and feature films. As Netflix continues to grow and expand, we are looking for a talented team member to join the Data Privacy and Security Legal team to provide support on privacy and data security compliance matters. The position is based in our Hollywood office in California. The position will work in an ongoing and collaborative way with relevant Legal, Security and Public Policy groups in carrying out her or his responsibilities. The position will report to the Chief Privacy Officer, and will work in an ongoing and collaborative way with relevant Legal, Security and Public Policy groups in carrying out her or his responsibilities.
This candidate will advance compliance worldwide with privacy/data protection and security laws in an innovative, risk-based manner that allows our business to grow and expand, drawing on knowledge and experience with specific government/industry requirements and best practices. This position will:
• partner internally to help identify issues important to Netflix and our subscribers, as well as support documentation regarding privacy and security matters in the areas of application development;
• address privacy considerations regarding minors and children;
• provide privacy consultation support in the areas of marketing, consumer insights and merchandising;
• support information security investigations, breach notification, incident management and adapt compliance practices proactively; and
• maintain strong partnerships and support education opportunities about complex regulatory schemes across legal, compliance, technical infrastructure, product management, sales and marketing, and internal audit.
Desired Skills and Experience
At least ten to fifteen years' experience handling complex privacy, data protection and security legal and policy issues with excellence, with a strong preference for significant in-house experience. Privacy experience at an international internet and/or technology company or studio preferred, as well as CIPP certification. This position also requires, at a minimum, the following experience and personal skills:
• Active membership in at least one U.S. state bar.
• Strong substantive knowledge of US privacy and security laws (including COPPA) as well as a working knowledge of international privacy and data protection laws (including GDPR). Strong experience with Asia-Pacific and/or ANZ data protection matters a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure with diligence, organization, and minimal supervision, and provide practical advice to clients.
• Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills .
• Ability to manage a diverse and complex workload while maintaining priorities and proactively anticipating issues, particularly in a fast-paced corporate setting.
• Strong collaborative leadership skills.
• A sense of humor.