Counsel, Content Intellectual Property
- Los Angeles, California
Netflix is seeking a seasoned intellectual property and production clearance counsel to advise film and television productions and executives on all matters related to intellectual property issues. Those include chain of title research, title clearance, production clearance, IP enforcement, claim defense, and negotiating license agreements. This role will closely collaborate with the creative, business, and legal teams that create Netflix’s great content.
As a seasoned IP attorney, the breadth of your intellectual property experience enables you to handle any situation that may be encountered on a production. You aren’t phased by the last minute surprises that inevitably arise when shooting a film, series or documentary. You expertly navigate those situations while allowing your studio colleagues to fulfill their creative and business goals. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, production departments, marketing and creative, and know when and how to align the appropriate teams when an IP issue arises. You’re comfortable evaluating risk with imperfect information and have the confidence to make quick decisions. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you are able to improve upon systems to gain efficiency. You are passionate about the entertainment industry and are excited to learn more about the business from a non-traditional perspective.
This is an opportunity to shape the future of entertainment. The successful candidate will love working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. That candidate will also thrive in an environment that values thoughtful efficiency over process, and knows how to work with organizations that may not hold the same beliefs.
- 5+ years of intellectual property experience in the entertainment or media industries.
- Excellent legal knowledge of fair use as applied to copyright, trademark, defamation, and right of publicity law.
- Knowledge of how filmed entertainment is produced, and the roles of the people that work on productions.
- Production clearance experience in film and television, including managing production personnel, script researchers and outside vendors; and negotiating and drafting license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
- Experience with complex copyright transactions
- Managing intellectual property claims in a pre-litigation context.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively in a fast-paced environment interacting with productions, cross-functional departments, and vendors.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution-oriented.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
- Wicked sense of humor.