Manager, Content Acquisition - Anime
- Tokyo, Japan
Netflix is recruiting for a Manager for Content Acquisition-Anime, based in Tokyo, Japan. The Manager will be a key member of the team, responsible for identifying and developing original anime content.
The Manager will be developing local anime television shows from companies and independent producers for digital streaming in all Netflix territories globally. They will report to the Director of International Originals, Anime and be responsible for sourcing great anime projects, deal negotiation and production development.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in and comfort with the development process for anime. They also need to have critical thinking skills that allow for intense attention to detail as well as the ability to find and develop great creative projects in a specific genre. Demonstrated mastery of verbal and written communication skills in both English and Japanese is also important as they will be called upon to lead meetings and give presentations as well as negotiate deals and manage external relationships with key partners.
The Manager should be comfortable working autonomously in a fast-paced environment, taking the initiative, managing multiple projects, and working to find creative solutions with partners under tight time-frames. Also a motivated, self-starter with a keen interest in and aptitude for finding great content from countries around the world.
- Source, evaluate, develop and produce high quality anime content that will engage our viewers
- Track trends and analyze performance in anime and other content categories globally, cultivate relationships and research in local markets in an effort to find new talent, shows and projects
- Develop a deep understanding of content markets through continuous focus on and knowledge of the competitive and market environment in anime and other content categories
- Communicate market trends around the production and distribution of anime and new content opportunities to internal and external partners
- Participate in all aspects of negotiation (financial analysis and forecasting, contract drafting, security requirements, amendments)
- Responsible for all aspects of production development, especially in pre-production
- Represent the International Originals’ team across the company (operations, legal, finance, business intelligence/reporting, content marketing) on a regular basis and as needed on a project basis
- Extensive background in sourcing and developing anime content
- Must have experience and be able to read scripts and screenplays, and give creative feedback to directors and writers to increase the value of the shows
- Must have extensive knowledge of the anime creative community, and have solid relationships with top anime directors, writers, designers, and studios in the anime creative community.
- Demonstrated mastery of verbal and written communication skills including the ability to cultivate internal and external relationships
- Ability to work independently and change direction frequently
- Ability to manage and process detailed information while keeping perspective on the bigger picture
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Demonstrated love and understanding of video content in multiple international markets
- Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is a must
- Fluent in both English and Japanese language skills is a must
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS required
- At least 10 years of work experience is required with at least 5 years of development and/or production development in anime
- Prior experience in anime content development preferred