Senior Data Engineer, Studio Data Engineering
- Los Angeles, California
- Data Engineering and Infrastructure
Who are we?
The Studio Data Engineering team is an integral part of enabling Netflix to make data-driven decisions as we scale the studio behind the world’s leading internet television network. Our team provides the data engineering muscle needed to make sense of petabytes of data. We partner with data science and engineering teams to build analytical solutions for our world class Studio in the Cloud. We are a passionate group of data engineers that thrive on challenging data problems.
As a Senior Data Engineer on our team you would help solve problems like:
- How do we leverage Spark, Presto, Redshift and other data tech to make sense of data in our 60PB data warehouse?
- What is the best way to source and integrate data from numerous internal studio and post-production related apps?
- How can we best use data to create insights that will drive the business?
Who are you?
- You are lazy in a productive way (find tedious work boring and would rather automate it)
- You thrive in a fast paced environment, and see yourself as a partner with the business with the shared goal of moving the business forward.
- You love freedom and hate being micromanaged. Given context, you're capable of self-direction.
- You deliver results quickly with iteration, instead of waiting for perfection
- You are motivated to explore new technologies and learn, and can do so without taking formal education.
What will you do?
- Dive deep into Netflix Studio in the Cloud and Post-production initiatives and data.
- Build incredibly valuable datasets that will be leveraged across Netflix.
- Creatively explore how to use data to continually add value to Netflix. Translate data questions into flexible methodologies that scale to answer broad problems across the organization.
- Be a bridge between data engineering and the business, enabling insight that can empower better decision-making.
- Be comfortable outside of your comfort zone - explore new tech, make your own tool, or find a new way to address an old problem.
What do you know? (not a rigid litmus test)
- Batch-driven ETL over distributed data (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, and MPP databases)
- Able to write complex SQL in your sleep
- Big Data tech (Presto, Spark, and/or Hive)
- Programming experience manipulating and analyzing data (Python or Scala)
- Experience with sourcing and modeling data from application APIs
- Virtualized/containerized/distributed computing environment experience a plus
- Understanding of MPP/columnar data warehouse solutions (Redshift, Vertica, etc.) a plus
- Education: Surprise us
A few more things to know:
Netflix offers amazing co-workers, new technology, fascinating analytical and technical challenges, and a Freedom & Responsibility Culture that's truly unique. It’s worth learning more: http://jobs.netflix.com/culture