Director, Content Machine Learning
- Los Angeles, California
- Science and Analytics
Netflix is in a totally new phase of its evolution. We are combining the worlds of tech and entertainment to license or create, and then launch, hundreds of new Netflix titles all over the globe. We are reinventing content categories and breaking down barriers with bold, creative decisions. In this space, we use machine learning to define and predict the value each title will bring to our business, thus informing billions of dollars worth of decisions annually. Now, we seek to strengthen and broaden the ways in which cutting edge ML and AI research support this space and need a key leader to make this happen. This is an amazing opportunity for someone who wants to leverage their expertise to do something unprecedented.
Innovation in this space requires that we utilize and advance a breadth of machine learning techniques including, but not limited to, supervised and unsupervised learning, computer vision, NLP, deep learning, causal inference, econometrics, etc. Research questions you might drive include - how do we generate reliable predictions for content at its earliest phase i.e. before there is a script? How do we best tackle the feedback loops inherent in a model used for decision-making? How do we best leverage human expertise as predictive features?
A successful leader in this space will have a strong academic background in machine learning and will be excited to disrupt a new space with groundbreaking innovations. They will also be impact-focused, leveraging a multitude of techniques and making fast, iterative progress.
- Lead a team of Phd-level, senior machine learning researchers
- Recruit top tier ML researchers, always raising the bar of the team
- Innovate upon, and own, an ecosystem of machine learning models leveraged for multi-billion dollar decisions across the business
- Set a vision and strategy for the team that is focused on business impact
- Be an innovator with strong technical knowledge of both new and traditional techniques
- Act as part research leader and part engineering leader to drive execution
- Build strong relationships with creative and business leaders; see your role as ultimately supporting the creative process and consumer joy
- Think broadly about Netflix and contribute outside your domain
- PhD/MS in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or other computational disciplines
- 5+ years experience either in academia or industry, with an emphasis on experience leading high-impact research efforts, resulting in new technical innovations
- A strong presence in the ML community with the ability to build upon the Netflix ML brand and attract top talent
- An ability to communicate and build successful partnerships with non-technical stakeholders
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for your work, tolerance for ambiguity in a fast-paced setting, and a positive attitude
- Experience in building and deploying machine learning models at scale and in production environments is a huge plus