Senior Data Engineer, Product
- Los Gatos, California
- Data Engineering and Infrastructure
The product data engineering team is responsible for nearly all of the large, web-scale datasets used at Netflix for analyzing the product experience. This means that we build datasets for the purpose of analysis, and collaborate with predictive modeling experts to build production data pipelines.
Given the size/complexity of our datasets this is not a trivial task. Nearly every engineer at Netflix depends on this data, and as a member of this team you would be at the center of product innovation. This includes projects like:
• Determining the efficacy of our original content targeting algorithms
• Building datasets in partnership with the catalog ranking (and page construction) teams
• Creating source datasets for a/b testing
• Establishing new patterns for efficient processing of O(10B) record datasets
• Defining metrics for tracking how customers are interacting with the service
• Partner with UI engineering teams to enable new customer experiences
The perfect person will have a background in a quantitative/technical field, will have rich experience working with large data sets, and will have some experience in data-driven decision making.
- Partnering with internal customers. At times you will partner with every team at Netflix to enable new projects and analyses.
- Design, prototype, and productize data pipelines used for making product decisions.
- Build/Deploy/Improve internal-built data tools. You will be expected to contribute to internal tools that enable efficiency throughout Netflix. These tools will be used for both analysis and data processing. As these tools mature you will be encouraged to make them available via open source.
Skills & Characteristics:
- Experience building production data pipelines (using Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Spark, etc.) on web-scale datasets. You should have an unmistakable passion for elegant and intuitive dataset design. Hands on and deep experience with schema design and data modeling.
- Programming proficiency in at least one major language (e.g. Java, Scala). You strive to write beautiful code and you're comfortable working in a variety of tech stacks.
- You are a well-rounded, top performer who is able to process data at scale and work strategically with partners.
- You're ambitious and willing to take action, but not stubborn. You recognize when you're wrong and move past your own mistakes.
- You work hard, and you have healthy boundaries. You know how to prioritize both your work and personal commitments without set boundaries or guidelines.
Two more things to know:
- We expect a lot. Our culture is unique and we live by our values, so it's worth learning more about it at jobs.netflix.com.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.