Senior Software Engineer in Test - Encoding Technologies
- Los Gatos, California
- Content Engineering
We encode video and audio streams that account for about one third of peak download traffic in North America, and are viewed by more than 100 million subscribers worldwide. We ingest thousands of high profile TV shows and movies and transcode to the best video quality possible. We incorporate automated quality control throughout our pipeline so that our streams play seamlessly on all Netflix-ready devices. We run our ingest and encoding software on the cloud and need to design for efficiency, reliability, and scalability. In addition, we are building new microservices to do deep analysis of audio, video and subtitle assets, and to make this analysis metadata available to applications such as automated QC.
How We Meet the Challenge:
A leading-edge, distributed, cloud-based workflow using microservice applications, excellent software development practices, and a strong intuition on what works for a scalable production system.
You are a self-driven Senior Software Engineer with a passion for testing and automation, who likes to work within small teams in a fast-paced environment. You have a strong software development background. You are eager to apply your software expertise building test automation around highly scaled EC2 microservices, and in doing so, impact what millions of people watch everyday. You can develop strategies for automated testing of services at scale. You love movies and are excited about applying your technical skills to bring great movies to the world.
- 5+ years experience in software development and test, with excellent debugging and problem solving skills.
- BS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Expert in one or more popular programming languages such as Java, Ruby, Python, etc. and have used it to develop test harnesses and automation infrastructure.
- You have experience in test automation, databases and relevant scripting technologies.
- Experience testing RESTful APIs.
- Experience in all aspects of testing of components/services including Performance, Load, Function, Integration and Unit testing.
- You have the ability to work with other developers to influence system design for reliability, performance and testability
- Experience with Swagger and OpenAPI
- Development contributions to open-source projects.
- Experience with multimedia tools such as ffmpeg, and/or understanding of audio or video compression and processing.
As a Senior Software Engineer in Test, you will:
- Develop and maintain a system for continuous automated testing of the applications and services that use in our encoding workflow.
- Engage with the developers on the various teams to develop the test strategies.
- Help develop strategies for rolling out tool updates without disrupting customer experience.
To learn more about our team, check out the following articles: