Senior Software Engineer - Build & Developer Insights
- Los Gatos, California
- Cloud and Platform Engineering
Netflix engineers ship thousands of lines of code every day. Their work translates into new product features, delivery of Originals content, or algorithms for our internal telemetry system. The Build & Insight team develops, deploys and supports the software that allows engineers to continuously integrate their code with ease.
About the Team
The Netflix Build & Insight team develops Nebula and Astrid to solve complexity and scale issues not addressed by standard open source or off-the-shelf solutions. Engineers on our team are expected to develop, test and deploy code to production as well as help analyze, resolve and root cause issues in our production system by pairing directly with our engineer-users.
Nebula builds Java code and manages the consumption of libraries. Astrid is responsible for understanding the world of artifacts in the development ecosystem.
Working on a centralized team at Netflix provides a unique opportunity to grow as an engineer. As a result, exposure to this broad set of problems provides diverse technical challenges as well the opportunity to exercise your expertise and judgment in an environment of freedom and responsibility. The Build & Developer Insight team is part of the larger Developer Productivity organization empowering you to be a force multiplier for engineers at Netflix.
- Address complex architectural problems with simple, intuitive design
- Work at all phases of the software development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, deployment, and support)
- Deliver on product functionality, while also operating and improving the existing infrastructure
- Participate in an on-call rotation for the team's services
- Collaborate effectively with teammates and technical partners
- Communicate technical ideas and direction across the organization
- Senior-level software development
- Strong JVM programming skills -- OO languages such as Java, Kotlin, or Groovy
- Build automation -- using tools such as Gradle, Maven, Webpack or Gulp
- Test automation -- unit testing, TDD, testing pyramid
- Running services in production
- Exposure to cloud infrastructures, such as AWS, GCE or Azure
- Exposure to API query languages
- Exposure to operating distributed systems at scale
- Experience resolving dependency conflicts
- Building internal developer tools
- Coaching engineers on tools and best practices
Here’s some of the work we’ve done...
Netflix offers a unique culture that values freedom and responsibility. You can learn more via the culture slides and “who we are” section of jobs.netflix.com.