Director, Content Demand Modeling
- Los Angeles, California
- Science and Analytics
Netflix is in a totally new phase of its evolution. We are combining the worlds of tech and entertainment to license or create, and then launch, hundreds of new Netflix titles all over the globe. We are reinventing content categories and breaking down barriers with bold, creative decisions. In this space, we use data science to define and predict the value each title will bring to our business. Thus, this team informs billions of dollars worth of decisions annually and we are striving to scale decision-making in unprecedented ways and optimize billions of dollars of content spend.
We are looking for a strong leader to lead a team of amazing data scientists who use a large-scale ecosystem of machine learning models, mixed with econometrics and causal inference innovations, to predict the audience size and revenue potential of a title. A successful leader in this space will be a strong executor, as well as a technical expert. This is a high-impact team which interfaces directly with top finance and creative leaders in our LA office. Some of the interesting strategic questions this leader would drive include:
• How can we enhance the accuracy of our early predictions by using signals from scripts, images, and other pre-creation assets?
• How do we best attribute the acquisition impact of a title and predict this outcome?
• How does the rest of the catalog, which is always changing, impact the valuation of a specific title?
• Which external social signals best predict whether or not a title will become a break-out hit?
• How do we project the lifetime value of a newly launched title to more quickly inform renewal decisions?
• How do we improve our accuracy in newer markets, particularly in Asia?
• How do we apply sound economic principles to assess the cost of a title relative to its value?
- Lead a team of machine learning researchers that leverage mathematics, statistics, computer science, and economics to enable content buying decisions
- Attract top data scientists who constantly raise the bar of the team
- Set a vision and strategy for the team that is focused on business impact
- Act as part research leader and part engineering leader to drive execution
- Interface with key engineering teams to integrate data collection and scientific output into production systems
- Integrate deeply with VP and C-level finance and creative leadership as a trusted and influential contributor to data-driven decision making
- Think broadly about Netflix and contribute outside your domain
- PhD/MS in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or other computational disciplines
- 5+ years experience building, managing, mentoring, and inspiring teams, with a proven track record of leveraging data to drive significant business impact
- Expertise in building and deploying machine learning models at scale and in production environments
- Solid statistical knowledge and intuition, ideally utilized in modeling and experimentation.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills coupled with strong business acumen, along with the ability to influence peer organizations.
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for your work, tolerance for ambiguity in a fast-paced setting, and a positive attitude.
- Experience with demand forecasting and asset valuation is a huge plus!