Senior Software Engineer, Adaptive Streaming Mobile
- Los Gatos, California
- Streaming Client
We obsess over great playback experiences. We want playback to start immediately, at great quality, and we never want playback to stop unexpectedly. On the Streaming Algorithms team, we design algorithms that adapt to ever changing network conditions to provide an amazing streaming experience.
Most of the world’s population is consuming video on their smartphones - and in many places, exclusively on their smartphones. As we continue our global expansion at Netflix, the quality of streaming video on mobile devices is a top priority.
We are looking for a senior engineer to improve the streaming quality of experience (QoE) on mobile devices, especially Android. In this role, you would be responsible for developing new video streaming algorithms for millions of mobile devices as well as conducting controlled experiments in the field to validate improvements. You would join our streaming algorithms team, whose members work across the spectrum of networking, video streaming, big data, and engineering. It’s an exciting time to join this team; the science is new and we’re making big progress at a rapid pace.
More about you:
- You have direct experience with mobile networking, and ideally with rate control or congestion control algorithms
- You have a proven ability to develop large scale applications
- You are fluent in statistics and data science
- You exhibit a bias to action, avoid analysis paralysis, and are willing to take smart risks
What you will do:
- Design and implement new streaming algorithms as well as improvements to existing algorithms
- Run controlled experiments on millions of streaming sessions to validate improvements
- Design metrics that capture the viewer’s experience as well as the system performance
- Work cross-functionally with other teams on adaptive streaming
The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- 10+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- Knowledge of high-level streaming protocols and/or low-level
- Experience with cellular and/or wifi networking standards
- Experience shipping software on behalf of a major brand at scale is a big plus
- Experience with video is a big plus
A few words about the company and the team:
This is a great time to be at Netflix! We continue to grow around the world and we believe that our culture of Freedom and Responsibility enables us to do our best work. The organization is flat, process is minimal, and there's an emphasis on keeping non-productive influences out. Every day, we make decisions with far-reaching technical and product impact.