Senior Analytics Engineer - Playback Innovation
- Los Gatos, California
- Data Engineering and Infrastructure
It's no accident that Netflix provides one of the smoothest and best-integrated streaming video experiences across the hundreds of devices we support. Netflix takes its data seriously and leverages it as part of our core culture to make product decisions, and we've only scratched the surface in the types of deeper analytics we'd like to do!
Want to help? We're looking for a Senior Analytics Engineer to work directly with the streaming client engineering teams and other data scientists across several key devices to build better data capabilities and dig into analysis around the usage and performance of the Netflix streaming video experience.
What You’ll Do:
- Data Engineering: Transform raw data from different sources (both batch and near-real-time) and using different tools (Hive/Presto/Spark, Redshift, Kafka, internal systems) into meaningful insights
- Analytical Tools: Build rich, high-visibility reports/dashboards/tools used by your direct stakeholders and a diverse set of teams across the company
- Data Ownership: Become a subject matter expert in various areas regarding playback data and client telemetry to partner engineering teams, your immediate peers and other data-focused teams
- Data Analysis: Answer complex analytic questions that help Netflix make strategic decisions about the performance of our streaming video platform
Who You Are:
- You have at least 5 years of experience in a data-driven environment designing and building metrics-focused deliverables, ideally in a technical, consumer-facing and/or web-based business.
- You’re enthusiastic and detail-oriented about producing high-quality data and analytics, often with requirements that are open-ended
- You have a high degree of comfort in leveraging SQL to manipulate data
- You have experience with at least one analytic reporting platform (Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.) or data visualization libraries (ggplot, Highcharts, D3.js, etc.)
- You have strong software development skills in one or more programming languages (Python, Java, etc.)
- You have some working knowledge of ETL and data warehousing concepts
- You have exceptional communication skills and can manage stakeholder priorities directly
- You are responsive, team-oriented and comfortable working in an organization that gives you freedom of responsibility
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with distributed analytic processing technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Presto, MapReduce, Kafka, Spark, etc)
- Industry experience in building a consumer-facing product as a software engineer and/or thinking about telemetry from client devices
- Subject matter knowledge of streaming internet video/audio and/or computer networking
More About Our Group
Netflix Data Engineering & Analytics is different than most other data-focused organizations. At other companies, the world revolves around a specific layer of the analytic stack – data warehousing, report development, analysis, etc. Developers and analysts largely live within one layer, and only do that type of work, day in and day out. At Netflix, we align by subject areas (Content, Product, Streaming, Marketing, Finance, etc.) and our staff is hired directly to those teams in order to act as an analytic extension of the areas of the business that we partner with. This gives us both a full portfolio of analytic skills, as well as provides plenty of opportunities for team members to stretch their muscles across the stack and not be overly bound to a traditional definition of a role of “engineer”, “analyst”, etc.
Our culture is unique and we live by our values. You will need to be comfortable working in the most agile of environments. Requirements will be vague, and iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks. Does this sound exciting? Learn more at Netflix Culture.